You always get a FREE re-fill on large
pop and popcorn. We always serve real butter!
 
■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■
■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■   ■
Hinckley had a small single screen theatre located on
Lawler Ave from sometime in the 20's or 30's until October 1957.
It was known as "The Roxy". The Roxy showed it's last movie on Saturday Oct 26th, 1957. The ad shown here is the last one for the theatre. The movie was "The Ungaurded Moment" and starred Esther Williams and George Nader. (The paper ad had her name misprinted as Easter) As you can see by the ad, the whole family could come to the movie for $1.00!.

The Roxy had been purchased earlier that year or possibly the year before by Ed Tenquist. After he closed the theatre he open "Tenquist Trading Post" in the building. That use remained until it was destroyed by fire in the spring of 1977. The lot was cleared and nothing has ever been built there since. The Roxy was located on the southern 50 feet of the current parking lot for the Town and Country Insurance building near the post office.

After the closing of The Roxy, Hinckley had no movies shown on the big screen for 44 years, that's when Brian and Shari Weidendorf opened "Grand Cinema Hinckley"!
Ground was broken in April for Grand Cinema and construction began. Grand Cinema Hinckley was built as a four-screen theater in the summer of 2001 and opened on November 2, 2001. Our first movies were Monsters, Inc, Riding in Cars With Boys, The Last Castle, and The One.

We added two more screens and the party room in the spring of 2003.

 

     
     
     
     
     
     
   
 
 
   
     
 
 
Grand Cinema Hinckley, 845 Weber Ave S. Hinckley MN 55037 320-384-7978 (office)  320-384-7999 (fax & movieline)
 
Grand Cinema Hinckley is privately owned and operated by Tim and Sue Davis & family